Hello lovely people,
Todays post is dedicated to a very common problem that some of us these days face. I am talking about premature graying of hair. No matter from which part of the world you belong, your hair can suffer premature graying.
Are you in your 20’s or early thirties and facing this problem? If the answer is yes, you don’t have to worry a lot because there are certain very effective home remedies to prevent such early graying of your hair.
Having said that let me also be very honest to you and say that it depends on the reasons for your premature graying of hair whether or not will it stop completely. Like certain hormonal changes or hereditary factors then it is a bit difficult to treat your graying. Nevertheless, these remedies will help you get healthy hair and so will in turn help your hair grow better 🙂 This post is going to be long as I intend to give you very detailed insight and a guide on the treatments for premature graying of hair.
Reasons for premature graying of hair:
- Very often, heredity is the main factor.It means that this change in the body and your hair is also in the genes.
- Stress and other psychological factors can also lead to premature graying. If you often suffer from anxiety, negative thinking, feeling of sorrow and hold on to negative things, then likely that you will see a gray hair appearing early than you want! Mental worries produce extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp; this interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair.
- If you suffer from chronic cold, sinusitis and other chronic diseases then that could be the reason for your premature graying of hair
- If your diet lacks the necessary vitamins and nutrients that will cause premature graying of hair and also hair loss
- If you are one of those who abuses your hair by chemicals and other treatments very often, or use electric dryers and use hair dyes then yes your hair will have no choice but to speak for itself!
- Some often also experiences premature graying and hair thinning during pregnancy
- Now can get a fair idea for the reasons of your premature graying of hair.
External Home Remedies For Premature Graying of Hair:
1. Highly Effective Hair Tonic/Oil For Premature Graying of Hair
Things you will need:
- 3 cups extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 Cup Castor Oil
- Handful of curry leaves (more will also do)
- 1 cup Amla Powder (Indian Goose Berry)
- 1 Cup Brahmi Powder
- 1 Cup Fenugreek (Methi) Powder
- Take a pan and Pour in the coconut oil
- Keep the flame slow
- Add Curry leaves, Amla, Brahmi and Fenugreek powder
- When you see the oil boiling and turning brown switch off the flame
- Pour the mixture (do not strain) in a bottle and keep it for 48 hours
- After 48 hours you can strain the oil
- Add castor oil and store it in a glass bottle
- This oil is a very good treatment for premature graying of your hair and hair loss. It will make your hairs healthy really healthy when used for a long term.
- Use this oil to massage your scalp twice a week
2. Carrot and Sesame Concoction for Changing Hair Color:
This is one recipe that I came across while researching and it used in many ayurvedic treatments in South India
Things you will need:
- Sesame Oil 1 cup
- Carrot Juice 1 cup
- Fenugreek seed powder ½ cup
- Mix equal quantities of sesame and carrot juice
- Add half the quantity of fenugreek seeds powder to the mixture
- Pour it in a glass container/jar and keep it in the sun for 21 days
- After 21 days you can use this concoction in your hair twice a week
- Use it religiously for 3 months
3. Effective Sunday hair treat!
This is a mask which is quickly made and is highly effective for premature graying of hair Things you will need:
- Henna – 1 cup
- Indigo powder – ½ cup (This will prevent the henna from giving you the reddish brown color)
- Shikakai Powder – 1 cup
- Amla Bowder – 1 cup
- Brahmi powder – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 lemon
- Fenugreek seeds powder – ½ cup
- Butter Milk – to form a paste
- Form a thick paste from the above ingredients
- Apply it to your hair and wrap it for 2 hours
- Wash your hair with a sulphate free shampoo
- Condition as usual
- This pack is highly effective when used every week for atleast 3-4 months
4. Ayurvedic Remedy For Premature Graying of Hair:
- Use a mixture of ashwagandha and bhringraj oil and massage on your scalp with it
- Massage it twice a week to cure premature greying of hair
5. Aromatherapy Remedy for Premature graying of Hair:
Rosemary and Sage:
Both these herbs help cover the gray by darkening your hair color naturally.
- Boil one-half cup each of dried rosemary and sage in two cups of water. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Strain the solution.
- Use it as a hair rinse after shampooing. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Repeat on a weekly basis
Internal Home Remedies for Premature graying of hair
By internal remedies I mean the diet and the necessary vitamins to take for good healthy hair
1. Fresh green vegetables: Fresh green vegetables are a natural source of Vitamins B6 and B12, which are needed to keep our hair healthy. Green leafy vegetables like spinach is said to be a good source of B vitamins. Incorporating leafy green vegetables into your diet will surely help get rid of grey hair.
2. Chocolates with pure coco: Chocolates are naturally rich in copper. Copper is known to produce melanin in your hair. Melanin cells are responsible for producing colour, which makes it essential for preventing grey hair.
3. Berries: Berries like strawberries, raspberries and cranberries have abundant amount of Vitamin C. This not only promotes healthy hair but also prevents premature graying. Apart from hair, Vitamin C also prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging.
4. Almonds: Almonds are not just good for skin, but also for hair. They are rich in both Vitamin E and copper. In order to get rid of grey hair and have a healthy, flowing hair add almonds into your diet and see the difference.
5. Salt: Salt is known to be iodine-rich, which helps in preventing grey hair. Since salt cannot be consumed directly, it can be consumed through iodine rich foods like fish, bananas and carrots. Beware as excessive consumption of salt can be harmful for the health.
6. Sunflower Seeds: Sunflower seeds have high amount of mineral content which plays an important role in the functioning of a healthy body. These minerals are also said to help in producing and retaining the melanin content. If mineral content or even the copper content is reduced, it can make your hair grey.
7. Curry Leaves: Curry leaves are very common in India. These curry leaves are beneficial in preventing premature greying of hair. Curry leaves have the property of providing strength to hair roots.
8. Dairy products: Dairy products are rich in Vitamin B, Vitamins B-6 and B12 which are vital for the production of red blood cells. This promotes oxygen and nutrients supply to your scalp. But the deficiencies in folic acid and biotin can directly cause grey hair. Other foods rich in B vitamins include whole grains, cereals, pastas, poultry, meat, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
9. Eat atleast 2 tbsps of black til in a day
10. Regular intake of flax seeds will also improve the condition of your hair
11. Drink a glass of Amla juice daily to ensure you have healthy locks Increase your intake of biotin for healthy hair.
Preventive Measures for Premature Graying of Hair
- Use SLS/SLES free shampoos
- Do not wash your hair in extreme hot water. Always use luke warm water to wash your hair
- The last rinse after putting the conditioner should be with cold water
- Avoid slathering unnecessary products with harmful chemicals on your hair. Keep it simple 🙂
- Wear shower caps while swimming as the chlorine mixed in public pools can damage your hair
So this was it to maintain and ensure that you stop your premature graying of hair. But how to naturally reverse the already existing gray hair that you have? I shall create a part 2 of this post and take it up as a separate topic; hence coming soon 🙂
Do ensure that you follow the diet and the remedies patiently for atleast a year to see a visible difference in your hair’s health.
TGIF! Happy Friday Guys………………